Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ode to BILLY JOE(L)



A very "compelling" look at the characters in Billy Joel's "Piano Man" from the world of Comedy Central's "Robot Chicken."

**warning - explicit language**



Billy Joel's voice is none other than HSM "it boy" Zac Efron.





...and now on to some Billy Joel covers.  The first is by a vocal jazz group from Germany called BERLIN VOICES.  They released a whole album of his covers entitled "States of Mind."  



This is a very interesting album.  I don't "love" every track, but they do some very interesting things with his music....

... I do LOVE their swingin' version of "ALLENTOWN!"  This is the "must download track" from the album.





Stage and screen vixen Bernadette Peters put out a lovely version of "HE'S GOT A WAY" (pronoun obviously changed) on her 1996 release "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight."



Also, you must check out this stunning version of "AND SO IT GOES" by Jazz siren Sara Gazarek.  I featured this in a previous post, but it's SO good that I couldn't resist another mention. 



Finally, the recently cancelled ELI STONE (don't even get me started) featured a lovely cover on it's last aired episode.  Here's the lovely Laura Benanti (recently seen as Gypsy Rose Lee on Broadway) singing (and playing) a lovely version of "THIS NIGHT."  The song starts at 0:57.



R.I.P. Eli Stone.

No comments: