Friday, January 2, 2009

It's a WONDERFUL Life




Hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's Eve.

I posted an entry on New Years Eve.  Prior to that my last entry was before Thanksgiving.  Shame on me!  I have so many wonderful things to share... sometimes I get "blogged down" trying to think of a clever theme to tie certain music and movies together and then I don't post.  The original intent of this blog was sharing bits of entertainment that make me happy. 

So for 2009 (with the exception of yesterday) I will be posting EVERY DAY!  Sometimes it may just be a short note, or a youtube clip... but there will be something everyday.  

And I would like to unveil a new feature for 2009.  OPERATION COVER LOVER!!  If you've been reading my blog or know me a little bit, you know that I am a huge fan of artists doing covers of songs.  I love that a vocalist or musician can take a song that another artist wrote and breathe new life into it and find new meaning.  (I am also a fan of campy covers as well.)  So as part of a new post everyday, many of these posts I will be sharing a favorite cover with a link.  When ever possible I will link to where you can purchase the song (i-tunes, e-music, etc.)

So to start the new year off on a wonderful note... here are some of my fav covers of "WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD."  I find that Louis Armstrong's version is the definitive one, however I also love these varied interpretations.  

I have always loved this song.  To me, it speaks of enjoying the simple everyday things in life and not taking them for granted.  As we look back at all the things in the past that have defined who we are, we must look toward the hope of tomorrow.  What a perfect message as we start a new year.  Life IS good.



Here are just a few really cool versions...

EVA CASSIDY...  a true angelic voice.  This version has an underlying sadness, but also full of hope.  More on Eva in a future entry.  This version can be found on her album "Live at Blues Alley."  This is one of my favorite albums of Eva's.



KRISTIN CHENOWETH just released a fabulous Christmas album with a really beautiful version that combines with "Sleep Well Little Children."



JOEY RAMONE recorded a rockin punk version.




Israel Kamokawiwo'ole known as "IZ" released this version similar to his take on "Over The Rainbow".




In the jazz world k.d. LANG and TONY BENNETT recorded a beautiful duet on a Louis Armstrong tribute album and UK sensation STACEY KENT released this beautiful version on this year's Grammy nominated jazz album "Breakfast on the Morning Train."



I know that's a whole lot of WONDERFUL.... but here's to a truly wonderful 2009.

(most overused adjective in this entry.... "wonderful.")

No comments: