Friday, January 23, 2009

Nomination Celebration!

The Oscar Nominees for 2009 came out this week.  Here is a link for the full list.

Oscar Night may have some BIG surprises this year...



(just kidding... Jessica Simpson was NOT nominated! Also she did not win one for "The Dukes of Hazzard."  This is a lovely photoshopped pic that I found online.)


Each year I make it my mission to see as many of the nominated films as humanly possible.  My birthday is on Sunday.  To celebrate turning 31, birthday festivities will be seeing "3" movies on "1" day with loved ones... (also one on Saturday... but that doesn't sound cool with the 3-1 theme!)



I was pretty happy with the nominations.  I will post more after the "movie weekend" when I feel I am more "qualified" to make overall comments.

However, here are some thoughts after hearing the nominations....

1. So excited Richard Jenkins was nominated for best actor in "The Visior" - I really loved this movie and Richard (who is normally plays character roles) gave a wonderful touching performance.

2. So happy for Anne Hathaway for best actress nom in "Rachel Getting Married."  I'm seeing that and "The Reader" (Kate Winslet - best actress nom) this weekend.  Love both of these women.

3. LOVED Viola Davis in "Doubt."  She MADE the movie for me and was happy to see her best supporting actress nom.  Also glad the much deserving Mr. Ledger got one for "The Dark Knight"

4. So far my favorite 2 movies have been "Milk" and "Slumdog Millionaire."  I was very happy that both got a lot of Oscar love.  These are the 2 movies I would highly recommend seeing before Oscar night.

5. I was surprised "Revolutionary Road" got little Oscar love.

6. Very disappointed that Sally Hawkins didn't get a best actress nomination for "Happy Go Lucky" and that "Wall-E" did not receive one for Best Picture.  I would also like to have seen "Gran Torino" nominated for best song... if only to see Jamie Cullum performing on Oscar Night.





If you are wanting to go on an Oscar Nominee Viewing Spree.. here is a list of the movies nominated for more than one award and the number of nominations.  Oscar night is Sunday Feb 22nd, so get to work!!

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - 13 noms
"Slumdog Millionaire" - 10 noms
"The Dark Knight - 8 noms (out on dvd)
"Milk" - 8 noms
"WALL-E" - 6 noms (out on dvd)
"Doubt" - 5 noms
"Frost/Nixon" - 5 noms
"The Reader" - 5 noms
"Changeling" - 3 noms (out on dvd Feb 17)
"Revolutionary Road" - 3 noms
"The Duchess" - 2 noms (out on dvd)
"Frozen River" - 2 noms (out on dvd Feb 10)
"Iron Man" - 2 noms (out on dvd)
"Wanted" - 2 noms (out on dvd)
"The Wrestler" - 2 noms

2 comments:

Beth said...

Sorry I got your Birthdate wrong! Duh! Have a great time seeing your movies on your Birthday. What a wondeful way to celebrate. Most of the movies do not come out to where I live ( i live in no where's vill) I hope to see as many as i can!

MICHAEL said...

Hopefully more will come there since nominations are out. I think you would really like SLUMDOG.