Tuesday, January 27, 2009

MUST see TV!





The term "Lifetime Movie" conjures up certain images... I think of a woman fighting the odds/overcoming addiction. The woman will usually be played by a former TV star. When flipping through channels I may watch a dramatic scene or two and skip to the next channel.

Perhaps I have never connected to one because I have never...

A - been abducted
B - been sexually assaulted or stalked
C - had a multiple personality disorder
D - had an eating disorder

All kidding aside, I know people love their movies and are inspired by them.

I have to give Lifetime huge props for their latest film. I just saw PRAYERS FOR BOBBY which aired this weekend. This made-for-tv movie is based on the book of the same title. It is the true story of a mother struggling with her son's homosexuality and trying to change him. All this is done in the name of God's love.  It is a tragic story, but also one of transforming ignorance into love and acceptance.



I read the heartbreaking book years ago and thought the movie hit it right on.  Ryan Kelley and Sigourney Weaver as Bobby and his mother are wonderful.  Ms. Weaver gives an amazing nuanced performance.  More importantly,  this is a vital story for young people and their parents struggling to come to terms with being gay AND loving God.  As evident with the past election, this is still an issue America struggles with.

There will be an encore showing tonight at 9pm ET on Lifetime. You can also purchase the film on itunes for $3.99.  A dvd release hasn't been announced yet, but I'm pretty sure there will be one down the road.  WARNING - When you watch this, make sure you have a box of tissues handy.

Here's the preview.  (Don't watch if you don't want to know too much before viewing.)


Also related.... I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the critically acclaimed documentary FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO.  This is an amazing film and is available on dvd.  What I like about the documentary is that it shows viewpoints from both sides of this controversial issue.  Also it interviews a lot of parents and not just their children.  Here is the preview.  Don't care much for the "child singing under spooky music" in the preview, but the clip gives you an idea of the content of the film.




1 comment:

Beth said...

I was able to watch Prayers for Bobby, and it was really a great movie. So sad, I needed my box of kleenx. Thanks for the great post and I'm so glad I was able to watch that movie.