Friday, April 3, 2009

"Totally FOLK-ed!"



This morning as I was eating my bowl of Berry Berry Kix, I came across an article online about a new broadway cover album by RACHEL BAY JONES called SHOWFOLK (folk covers of showtunes!) It looked interesting so I went to itunes and heard some samples... and really really liked what I heard.



I impulse-downloaded the album, listened to it all day, and LOVE IT.  I really dig the variety of her selections.  She opens with a great version of BREEZE OFF THE RIVER from THE FULL MONTY (great tune.)  There are covers from newer shows WICKED, SPRING AWAKENING, HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH, RENT... and also classics from ON THE TOWN and MAN OF LA MANCHA.  



Favorites besides BREEZE OFF THE RIVER are ANOTHER DAY (Rent), LUCKY TO BE ME (On The Town), and a wonderful version of GONNA BUILD A MOUNTAIN (Stop The World - I Want To Get Off).  I feel these tunes in particular get a very fresh interpretation on the album.

Check it out.  You won't be sorry!  This is really stunning music.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm sure I would love this music! I am a really big fan of Spring Awakwening.. I was actually able to see the tour in East Lansing! It was amazing. I love Blake Bashoff:) Anyway.. I'll have to think about getting this cd, thanks!