Thursday, April 9, 2009

It's a Mad Mad Mad MAD WORLD



I was absolutely overwhelmed by Adam's performance of MAD WORLD on Idol this week.   Originally performed by Tears for Fears, I first heard the song by Gary Jules as a cover featured in the movie DONNIE DARKO.  His version became a number one hit in the UK in 2003. 

Here is the Gary Jules version.



Gary heard Adam's version as was very pleased.   He said that he was in the other room when the song came on.

"I ran out and I was like, `I knew he was gonna do it! I knew it!' " he recalls. "I've been waiting for years for somebody to do it. I thought David Cook was gonna do it last year for sure. ... As soon as I saw that guy Adam on `American Idol,' I was like, 'Oooh, this could be it.' "

Jules, 40, thinks Lambert put a signature spin on his cover-of-a-cover.

"It was fantastic," he says. "He has a beautiful voice. ... I heard his Michael Jackson cover and I heard some of his other stuff, and I think that he's probably one of the most — if not the most — interesting performer I've ever seen on `American Idol.'"



Personally, I loved everything about this performance.  The lyrics of the song speak of the feeling of alienation.  His performance reflected this beautifully.  The gorgeous lighting (which I have a feeling he had a say in) was the icing on the cake.  Adam is a true artist.

Here it is...




Here are the links to download the video performance and the studio version




...and if you haven't seen it, check out DONNIE DARKO.  The original theatrical version and a director's cut are both available on dvd, and both are on the same blu-ray disc.  The director's cut makes the plot more easy to understand, but I kind of like the ambiguity of the original.  On the original dvd there are some great deleted scenes that add richness to the plot, but I feel the newer version doesn't allow the viewers to make some decisions for themselves.  Either way, really great movie.  Amazing performances by Jake Gyllenhaal, his sister Maggie, and the wonderful Mary McDonnell as Donnie's mother. Definitely one of my favorite movies.  It's one of those films that will stick with you long after you see it.  There is also an amazing website to go along with the film.

Here is the trailer.



1 comment:

Beth said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I did not see his whole performance that night. Wow. Amazing! What a beautiful song...i love the lyrics.