Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Just what the DOC ordered!


As a society we have an obsession with wanting to know what goes on in other people's lives. It can be trash.... (practically any Celebrity Show...  "Living Lohan" or "Denise Richards - It's Complicated")  or it can be treasure (the wonderful movies "Mad Hot Ballroom," and "Spellbound," and the fascinating yet tragic "Grey Gardens")  *side note- I am also in LOVE with the recent musical based on "Grey Gardens."

Anywhoo...  As I wrote in last weeks entry, I went to see a new documentary  "Young@Heart" this past week.

I was absolutely blown away.  

The movie follows a chorus of senior citizens who make up the "Young@Heart" chorus.  What makes them unique is that they don't perform old standards or showtunes.  They perform hits of The Clash, Radiohead, Coldplay, and other rock and roll giants.  The songs they sing are songs we all know. However, performed by a group whose average age is 80, the songs take on a whole new meaning.

 Here's the preview.




I don't want to give too much away because I feel it's best to go into this (and many films) with a clean slate.

I will say I found this film profoundly touching.  There were many times where I was moved to tears.  I got the same feeling as when I saw the amazing film "Once" last year.   Both of these movies show the power of music and how it is good for the soul.  Some of the members of the chorus are struggling to hang on to life... and the one thing that gets them through is their love of singing.    

I do a lot of vocal directing and coaching so I really identified with the choir's director Bob Cillman.  I appreciated that he never looked down on the performers or felt they were doing rock and roll strictly as a gimmick.  He chose songs that maybe they didn't like right away, but were ones that they would eventually connect to.  The whole chorus and director truly became a family bonded by making music.


If you get a chance, please see this film.  I would definitely say it is one of my favorites so far this year (along with "The Visitor.")  Even if you have nothing in common with the subject,  I feel a really good documentary will have at least one element that you can relate to your own life. 

I REALLY could relate to their love of music, and this movie made me think a lot about my grandparents who have been through a lot this year.  No matter what they've been through, they are fighters and are a wonderful inspiration on the power of faith.  I gave them a call on my way home from the theater.  My grandpa had surgery on his knee a few weeks ago and has been doing therapy at home.  Never wanting to burden his family with what he or my grandma are really going through, they are always tell us they're doing great.  Just last week he was walking around with a cane, but when I called them he was just getting inside from mowing the grass!    He said "It may take us twice as long to do things, but that just means the job is twice as good."

Here's to grandparents who are truly young at heart.

1 comment:

Tait Moline said...

Just found your blog, Michael, and added you to my blogroll on my blog:

taitmoline.blogspot.com

Check it out. There's some hilarious videos I think you would like (specifically Xanadu and Planet Unicorn)